Skip to content

NJ Motor Vehicle Commission

NJ Motor Vehicle Commission

About NJ Motor Vehicle Commission

License Extensions

If you are on active military duty and have been deployed, including New Jersey National Guard and Reserve, you and your immediate family are entitled to automatic extensions for your driver license, registration and inspection requirements.

  • Your license, registration and inspection documents will remain valid for as long as you are deployed..
  • When you are demobilized, you will need to renew your expired documents within 90 days of your demobilization date or return from duty.
  • Law enforcement officials are aware of this extension. Please carry the Administrative Order along with your active duty military credentials at all times when operating a vehicle. See Related Links below for extension instructions to obtain the Deployed Military Administrative Order.

Registration Refunds

If you enter or are an active member of the U.S. Armed Forces and have a valid New Jersey registration, you can get a refund for the remainder of the registration period.

To obtain a refund:

  • Write a letter to the Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) stating the reason you are requesting a refund along with proof of service.
  • Complete and return a refund form. Refund forms are also available at motor vehicle agencies or by calling the MVC’s Customer Support Line at 609- 292-6500 weekdays (except holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m..
  • Return the original registration and the New Jersey license plates along with a copy of military orders and a copy of the out-of-state registration.

Service-disabled or blind veterans

You may qualify for free registration, if you meet the following classifications:

  • Are without sight as a result of war service and eligible for compensation from the State under N.J.S.A. 38:18-1.
  • Currently have another service-connected disability and have qualified for a free automobile from the US Veterans Administration and:
    • You have a valid New Jersey driver license or a generated driver license number.
    • The vehicle in question is equipped with special attachments or devices that may be necessary for its safe operation.
    • The vehicle is properly insured by a New Jersey licensed company.

To apply for free registration, call 609 292-6500 extension 5076 for an application.

Mail the certified application with affixed seal or stamp of the U.S. Veterans Administration to:

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Government Unit
P.O. Box 016
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0016
Once the free registration status has been established, all subsequent renewals can be completed at a motor vehicle agency, or through the mail in the envelope provided.

Disabled Veteran, Purple Heart Recipient Placards

Jersey law (N.J.S.A. 39:4-207.10) permits exemption from payment of municipal parking meter fees, for up to 24 hours, for disabled veterans and Purple Heart recipients under certain, specific circumstances.

We are required to capture a customer’s full face when taking a picture for a driver license or non-driver ID card; therefore we need to be able to see from the top of your forehead to the bottom of your chin.  If you have a medical or religious need to wear a head covering in your photo, please advise the MVC staff at the agency camera station.

Tell Roger About Your Experience

We'd love to hear about your experience with this organization. Please consider leaving a review to help us make Roger the best resource for veterans.

Leave a Review