Skip to content

Army Emergency Relief

Army Emergency Relief
Army Emergency Relief
2530 Crystal Drive Suite 13161, 13th Floor
Arlington, VA 22202 Get Directions

About Army Emergency Relief

Soldiers helping Soldiers since 1942

Financial Assistance

All assistance requests are unique and considered on an individual basis.

Categories of Assistance

  • Emergency Travel
  • Natural Disaster (preparation & evacuation)
  • Mortgage, Rent, Initial Deposit
  • Temporary Lodging
  • Food
  • Healthcare (not covered by Tricare)
  • Vehicle Costs
  • Utilities
  • Funeral Expenses
  • Basic Essential Furniture
  • Appliance Costs
  • Cranial Helmets
  • PCS Travel
  • Child Car Seats
  • Dental Care (for dependents)
  • Home Repair
  • Non-Medical Attendant Travel
  • Invitational Travel Order
  • Clothing
  • Immigration & Passport Fees (for dependents)
  • Special Needs Medical Equipment
  • Spouse Relicensing / Recertification
  • Child Care (Army Fee Assistance req.)


The following individuals are eligible for AER assistance in accordance with Army Regulation 930-4:

  • Soldiers on active duty and their eligible dependents
  • Army Reserve and National Guard Soldiers activated on Title 10 orders for more than 30 days and their eligible dependents
  • Soldiers retired for longevity, medical, or upon reaching age 60 (reserve component) and their eligible dependents
  • Surviving spouses who have not remarried and children of Soldiers who died on active duty or died after reaching retirement eligibility

3 Ways to Apply

1. Talk to your Chain of Command
The fastest and most effective way to request financial assistance through AER is to talk to your chain of command. Your chain of command has the power to approve immediate financial assistance up to $2,000. Your chain of command can also refer you to the on-post AER officer. Your chain of command is empowered to help. Just ask!

2. Visit your AER Officer
Any Soldier (active or retired) can visit their nearest AER officer. Officers are conveniently located at many Army installations around the world. No Army base nearby? No problem! Soldiers can visit any military installation and request AER assistance from any military aid society.

3. Call the American Red Cross
Not located within 50 miles of a military installation? The American Red Cross is authorized to provide financial assistance on behalf of AER. Call the American Red Cross at 1-877-272-7337 then select the option for financial assistance.


Mrs. Patty Shinseki Spouse Scholarship Program
Spouses pursuing an undergraduate degree or professional certification may receive assistance for up to four academic years of full-time study or eight academic years of part-time study. Spouses may apply year-round (no deadlines) and must re-apply every year.

MG James Ursano Scholarship Program for Children
Children pursuing an undergraduate degree who meet eligibility criteria may receive assistance for up to four academic years. Children must re-apply every year.

Tell Roger About Your Experience

We'd love to hear about your experience with this organization. Please consider leaving a review to help us make Roger the best resource for veterans.

Leave a Review